Oct 12, 2008

Of African markets

Si vous pensez l'Inde est une pays bonde, regarde-la!

Yes, I was trying to show off some french, but I hope that sentence construction was correct!or else I know some smart ass will correct me!!

Anyway, I visited the local African market in Accra, called 'Makola', as my friend corrected me it's pronounced 'Ma-a-k-0-laaa'. Hmpf. Great place though, especially if you place haggling and bargaining as your virtue and hobby. The shopkeeper shall say 12 cds ( 1 Ghanaian cd = 38 Rs. approx) and then you say 8, eventually it should be settled at 10. But it is way cheaper than the retail stores, I was window shopping ( yes, shopping becomes window shopping as soon as I glance at the price tag) at the Accra Mall, at a store called ' Truworths' , I liked one shirt, saw the tag, and made a face like I had tasted rotten tomatoes, it was freaking 70 cds!! You do the math, yeah I could buy 3 items from Bandra, from a store like Globus.
I saw shoes, yes shoe shopping!!! ( people who watch Scrubs will get the drift) Sandals, stilletoes, everywhere, and at a good price.
Just be careful of the vendors, they have some aggressive marketing strategies like holding your hand and literally pulling you to see their stuff!!! Now, don't get scared, they were trying to get noticed.
And hey, another thing, I was walking on the street, it was very crowded, yes I did not miss India so much at that point of time, anyway, so I happen to step on a girl's sandal, and it came off, it was not intentional, hence I said ' sorry'. The girl was pretty miffed and said.' why did you do that brownie?" !!!!! I was referred to as a brownie. haha. I said, ' sorrryyy wooman' and walked away, she laughed and I did too.
If I didn't have a lethal migrane today, I would have emptied my dad's wallet, are you feeling happy for my dad's wallet??
Meanies.
Le prochaine fois, je vais acheter tout le monde, donc, si vous voulez un cadeau pour toi, soyez gentil.

2 comments:

lightandshadow said...

i quite like this one. so many themes in a short piece :)

write more of these!!!

ruhey said...

Thanks!!!
:)

yeah will keep posting!