Apr 28, 2006

Day out in Lagos

Ruhie's day out in Lagos..

So I finally got to go out....see the city a little bit,
went to a local market called "Lekki" ...was fun shopping and looking at strange faces who stared back with you with same or more amount of strangeness.
One word which pops in my head when i was going through the streets of Nigeria-SURVIVAL
The locals-i.e Nigerians do almost everything to earn a few crumbs of everyday bread.
This is evident by a phenomenon called "GO SLOW", itz nothing but the usual traffic jam, which is present all the time on the roads, there are more go slows than bombay...a 5 minute drive will take you 30 mins during the peak hours.Now in these go slows, one can find a shopping paradise...hows?..well just look through the ur window, and you'll find dozens of people outside roaming around with various articles in their hands...the variety is really vast, it includes bags, calculators, batteries, softdrinks, cds, calling cards, fruits, vegetables, manicure-pedicure set, razors, dustbins,phones, their covers, carpets!! ...rice, table mats....and too many things to write down...
This is something I have never seen....seriously...it's fascinating, cuz I am not used to it, and these vendors . they are out regardless of the weather conditions, it's raining, or burning sun...and mind you, the items they sell are genuine...tested and tried by my mom! and I must say they are quite a hit...wonder wht'll happen if this starts happening in India...
I promise I'll post some pics soon(once I take em';)
hey but I must admit...the streets are full of people...unlike South Africa, where you would have to walk for 10 mins to actually find somebody! I aint joking here, on a sunday morning you'll probably have to walk for half an hour...yeah so back to the point..people on the streets, it's quite evident why Lagos is the second most populated city in Africa after Johannesburg.
Okadas---is another speciality, it's a motorbike taxi, yeah sounds cool n all, but hey one cannot gaurantee a safe ride on it, because the drivers don't wear any helmet, and in simple words it's just not safe, there are loads of Okadas in the city, this is due to the presence of Go Slows on the streets...the Okadas can easily find their way out or take short cuts.
And did I mention the vegetable vendors know a few names of vegetables in hindi!..yea man...they actually say "bhindi" and "aaloo" etc.
and when I went shopping I happen to tell my mum"accha hai" for a piece of clothing and the shopkeeper says" accha hai na" ...phew...you never know who can speak ur language here!
The above is thanx to the Indians who are omnipresent...they live quite separately here, all of knw most of em type of thingie...but it's nice to see known faces in a crowd
Thats it for now...will keep posting...
cheers.

6 comments:

Anorion said...

(same inflection as Gollum hungering for the ring) (Tounge hanging out and drooling) MORE! MORE! MORE!

_dirtboy said...

Nice..

And what bikes exactly do they use in those Okadas(guess I got the spellin rite)??

And do they sell iPods on those roads??

And as Ano-dude says... Wanna know more!!!

Enjoy...

ruhey said...

@anorion...whtz up wid u dude...miss me?...i m sure u dont..neither do I;)

@abhinav....not seen any ipods as yet...and the bikes are the local ones, no hi-fi sports bike:( and 3 seater rides similar to those seen in swades are a very common site.

diksha said...

coool...
pls get me everything you can afford

Anorion said...

How the hell will you miss you? If only you were any more dumber... then I wouldn't have...

magpie said...

the city sounds very fasinatin its really nice to hear abt a different culture thanx ruh